Monday, September 24, 2012

When kids make me feel bad about myself...

I alternately love and hate the video included below. It is such a fantastic example of what the 10 and Under Tennis format has to offer in terms of player development. The mechanics, shots and court movement that these kids possess at such a young age could simply not be nearly as developed (or as correct) if they were on a full size court with the yellow ball. If you have wondered why Europe has used this format for years, here is your answer. I also hate this video for shaming my own tennis skills so badly. I would absolutely not accept a pickup game offer from either of these kids as I would get hustled immediately! Enjoy:


For what it is worth, if that is the foam ball (which it looks to be based on sound and the flight of the ball) I think those kids are ready to go to a felt ball (red or orange). They have clearly developed rally skills and could probably benefit from a ball that would let them finish the point a bit sooner. Longer rallies are great, but the format isn't about turning every point into a 55 shot Djokovic-Murray marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment